Beginning May 9, 2022 UMS's testing center will be open to the public by appointment only.
CLEP exams are online exams developed by College Board. Most CLEP exams consist of multiple choice questions, and have a time limit of 90 minutes. These tests cover material taught in courses that many students take as basic foundations for their college degrees.
Here is a list of CLEP exams given at USM, along with their equivalent credits. CLEP exams must be passed with a score of 50 or higher to earn credit at USM.
USM’s school code for CLEP exams is #3691.
Registering for a CLEP exam
- Choose an exam from the CollegeBoard CLEP website and follow the directions to purchase the exam you want to earn credit for. The cost for the exam itself is $90.00. CLEP exam registration tickets expire 6 months from the date of purchase.
- Once the CLEP exam has been purchased complete the USM online registration form to schedule a testing appointment. The testing office is located on the Portland Campus in Room 240 Luther Bonney Hall. You also have the option of taking the exam remotely through Proctortrack. If you choose to take the exam remotely and want your scores sent to USM, please use school code #3691.
- On the day of your exam, bring the following to your appointment:
- Copy of the registration ticket for the exam
- Current, non-expired government-issued photo ID (student IDs cannot be accepted)
- $30 test administration fee. The fee can be paid by check or money order made out to University of Southern Maine, exact cash, or credit card.
CLEP requires a 90 day waiting period to retake a failed exam. Payment of the CLEP exam and USM testing administration fees are required on any subsequent exam attempts.
Preparing for CLEP Exams
Official test preparation materials (including full-length practice exams) for CLEP exams can be purchased from the College Board website.
CLEP Credit from Previous Testing Attempts
If you took your CLEP exam at another location, please contact CLEP at 800-257-9558 to have an Official Score Transcript sent. There is a fee for each transcript ordered. USM's school code is #3691. Transcripts should be sent to:
Office for Prior Learning Assessment
253 Luther Bonney Hall
P.O. Box 9300
Portland, ME 04104
The PLA office will send email confirmation of any posted CLEP credits to the student’s University email account.
If you are a military student who has CLEP scores listed on the Joint Services Transcript (JST), it is not necessary to send an official CLEP transcript in addition to your JST. Your military transcript acts as official record of your CLEP exam score(s).
Additional Information for Military, Veterans, and Their Families
Active Duty Military test for free! Your CLEP registration is free as long as you meet these criteria. Remember to bring your military ID with you to your exam.
- Student veterans who are receiving funding through the Post-9/11 GI Bill may be able to have their initial testing fees (including the test administration fee charged by USM) reimbursed by the VA. Students interested in pursuing this opportunity should contact Lorrie Spaulding, Director of USM's Veteran Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-780-5232.