***IMPORTANT UPDATE ON USM'S TESTING CENTER.
Due to public health concerns, the USM PLA office is scheduling exams for USM students by appointment only. If you need to take an exam, please fill out the testing registration form and PLA staff will contact you for more information.***
IMPORTANT MESSAGE ON COVID TESTING FOR EXAMS
All students who are coming to campus to take a PLA exam from May 10 – July 31 must take a COVID-19 test the week of their exam.
Details on how to download the SaferCommunity app and schedule a COVID-19 test--as well as a detailed FAQ asymptomatic testing at USM--can be found here. ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DSST exams are delivered by Prometric, Inc. and offer college credit in a number of different subject areas. Most DSST exams consist of multiple choice questions, and have a time limit of two hours. In large part, the exams do not duplicate the options offered by CLEP®.
USM is a testing site open to the general public. Be sure to check with your home institution to learn their minimum cut-off scores and course equivalents. The list below is specific to USM.
Here is a list of DSST exams given at USM along with their equivalent credits. DSST exams must be passed with a score of 400 or higher to earn credit at USM.
USM’s school code for DSST exams is #9553.
Registering for a DSST Exam at USM
1. Complete the USM online registration form to schedule a testing time. Once complete, this form will alert USM’s testing coordinator to set up a date and time for the exam. The testing office is located on the Portland Campus in Room 240 Luther BonneyHall.
2. DSST exams are purchased with a credit card at UMS’s testing center on the date of the exam. The cost for the exam itself is $100.00.
3. Bring a current, non-expired government-issued photo id and pay the USM test administration fee of $30 on the day of the exam. The fee can be paid by check or money order made out to USM, exact cash or credit card. The testing coordinator handles these payments at check-in for the exam.
There is a 30-day waiting period to retake a failed DSST exam. Payment of the DSST exam and USM testing administration fees are required on any subsequent exam attempts.
Preparing for DSST Exams
- Full-length practice exams for DSST exams can be found at the Prometric website. Taking these exams will require you to create an account with Prometric.
- Additional practice exams can also be purchased from Peterson’s an official DSST test prep provider.
DSST Credit from Previous Testing Attempts
If you took your DSST exam at another location, you can complete this form to request your records directly from DSST or they can be reached by phone at 877-471-9860. For your reference, USM’s school code is 9553. You can have your transcript sent to:
Office for Prior Learning Assessment
253 Luther Bonney Hall
P.O. Box 9300
Portland, ME 04104
The PLA office will send email confirmation of any posted DSST credits to the student’s University email account.
If you are a military student who has DSST scores listed on the Joint Services Transcript (JST), it is not necessary to send an official DSST transcript in addition to your JST. Your military transcript acts as official record of your DSST exam score(s).
Additional Information for Military, Veterans, and Their Families
Active Duty Military - You test for free! Your DSST registration is free as long as you meet these criteria. Remember to bring your military ID with you to your exam.
- Student veterans who are receiving funding through the Post-9/11 GI Bill may be able to have their initial testing fees (including the test administration fee charged by USM) reimbursed by the VA. Students interested in pursuing this opportunity should contact Lorrie Spaulding, Director of USM's Veteran Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-780-5232.