Maine Residency Classification

There are many factors that will be considered in determining residency for in-state tuition purposes. No one factor can be used to establish residency, rather all factors and circumstances must be considered on a case-by-case basis.

University of Maine System Policy (PDF) governs decisions regarding the determination of student residency.

Please note that initial residency is determined by: the undergraduate admissions office for matriculated undergraduate students, a Registrar’s representative for non matriculated students, the graduate admissions office for matriculated graduate students, and the University of the Maine School of Law admissions office.

Change of Residency Classification Procedure

To request a change of residency status, the following procedures must be followed:

Request for Change of Residence Status (PDF – 183kb) must be filed with the Associate Director of Student Financial Services, 96 Falmouth Street, PO Box 9300, Portland, ME 04104-9300 before the first day of classes for the Summer session, Fall, or Spring semester for which residency is requested. All applications are prospective.

The completed request must be signed by a Notary Public.

Veterans and Current Military Personnel

Current members of the United States Armed forces and veterans who have been honorably discharged who are enrolled at the University of Southern Maine are eligible for in-state tuition rates, regardless of member’s or veteran’s state of residence. All dependents using a GI Bill are billed at the in-state tuition rate

Eligible students should provide one of the following documents to the Veterans Certifying Official:

  • Copy of DD 214 showing honorable discharge
  • Copy of Certificate of Eligibility for GI Bill (current or expired)
  • Copy of US Military ID card

When documentation has been received, in-state tuition rates will apply.