At home in a classic New England college town.
On USM’s residential campus, historic brick buildings dating back to 1878 are mixed in with modern residence halls, classroom buildings, laboratories, studio spaces, the library, student center and athletic facilities. Spread out on 125 beautiful, tree-lined acres, the Gorham campus draws thousands of students and community members throughout the year for sports events, music and theater performances, volunteer activities, and tours of the USM Arboretum.
Highlights of this traditional, close-knit college living environment include:
Vibrant Campus and Residential Life
- Athletics is an important and exciting part of student life at USM. The Southern Maine Huskies include 23 NCAA Division III teams that compete very successfully – often in post-season play.
- USM’s Visual and Performing Arts on the Gorham campus offers exciting and innovative art exhibits at the Art Gallery; a full season of theatre performances in Russell Hall Theatre; as well as concerts, recitals and music master classes in Corthell Concert Hall.
- There are a variety of housing options and programs in seven residence halls on the Gorham campus that will enhance your social and academic experience.
- Living Learning Communities provide students a chance to live with peers that share common interests such as the arts, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), SENSE (Students Entering Nursing, Science and Engineering) and more.
- On the Gorham campus, we offer a broad range of academics, many of which offer internships and experiential learning opportunities. Education, Music, Art, Theater and the STEM disciplines bring together a diverse student body that cultivates an environment of rich and varied thinking. Our USM faculty members are recognized scholars, researchers and practicing professionals who have earned the highest academic credentials in their fields.
A Focus on Student Success and Learning Commons
- Student Success is a priority at the University of Southern Maine. There are many resources that can assist students as they begin their college experience, which remain available through graduation and beyond.
- USM’s libraries offer newly established Learning Commons spaces designed to support active collaborative learning. Students can work with Reference Librarians, tutors, faculty and each other in this dynamic environment.
Students travel regularly between the Gorham and Portland campuses for classes and campus activities. Just 10 miles east of the Gorham campus, Portland is an easy commute via our free USM shuttle bus. The WiFi equipped shuttle lets students study as they travel––and it saves gas, too.