The State Department requires that J‐1 sponsors verify that J‐1 exchange visitors have sufficient English fluency to:
- Perform their J‐1 activities or complete their academic program.
- Navigate daily life in the US.
- Read and comprehend program materials.
- Understand fully their responsibilities, rights, and protections.
- Know how to get help if needed.
Options to Verify English Proficiency
- Computer based TOEFL test with a score of 79
- IELTS test with a score of 6.5
- Scholars may also utilize the “J-Check” program which allows them to test from home provided they have a computer with a camera. The cost to the exchange visitor for this test is $99
- In some instances the scholar may be able to submit a “Language Proficiency Report.” Please check with Kimberly in the International Office to determine if that option will be allowable.