Southern Maine is a destination that will exceed your expectations!
USM has a diverse student population with students of all ages, cultures and backgrounds which bring distinctive perspectives to our academic community and enrich the residential and campus experience for all. USM has a great deal to offer students looking for the American experience including small classes and engaged learning opportunities outside of the classroom that are typically available only at large, national, urban universities.
USM offers students the best of both worlds with locations in Portland and Gorham!
Portland is a vibrant city with a deep-rooted community spirit running through its veins; it’s just the right size to connect what you’re learning in the classroom to what’s happening in communities across Maine and the nation. As the intellectual, economic, and cultural hub of Maine, opportunities abound to make the kind of connections that can help your ideas take flight.
Gorham offers students the classic New England campus and is currently home to the University’s residential population and competitive Division III athletic teams. (New residence halls are being built on the Portland campus and are scheduled to open in the Fall of 2023). The Gorham campus is spread out over 125 pristine acres and some buildings date back to as early as 1806. Sporting events, entertainment, and cultural activities draw thousands of students and community members throughout the year.
- Average class size of 18
- 13:1 student faculty ratio
- 10 Living Learning Communities
- Internships for every major
- 1 on 1 academic and career counseling
- New Portland residence hall planned to open in the Fall of 2023
- One of America’s most livable cities (Forbes magazine)
- One of the top 5 safest cities in the US
- Top 10 Metropolitan areas to live in America
- Top 100 best green cities
- 8 beaches, 70+ parks and recreation areas and 93+ miles of trails
- Just 2 hours from Boston, MA and 5.5 hours from New York, NY by car