This Stuff is For You!
The success of students is our main focus at USM and we recognize that parents and family play an important part! We know that you may have questions about resources, your role, and how you can be most helpful to your student. Please review the links and information below to help you to learn more.
Take a look at this great free resource offered by College Transitions Press: Life During College: The Parent's Guide to Success
Helpful Parent & Family Resources
- Academic Calendar has info on breaks, registration, finals & more.
- Buy Dining Dollars (for any student) and/or Commuter Block Meal Dining Plans
- Send Care Packages or Birthday Cake to your student!
- How to Find Out Which Textbooks to Buy (Video)
- Concerned about your Husky? Contact the Dean of Student's Office
- FERPA- your student's right to privacy
- Similar to HIPPA, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of a student's educational records. This law impacts what information the University is able share about your student. Please read more about this important federal law: FERPA - Privacy of Records
- Student Consent to Release: Once your student reaches the age of 18 or matriculates (pays an enrollment deposit), parents no longer have an automatic legal right to examine their educational records. We can only share details (beyond directory information) about your student if we have *their* consent of in the form of a written, dated request by the student or by the student's completion of the Student Consent to Release Information Form.
General Campus Resources
- Academic Advising
- Disability Services Center
- Health and Counseling Services
- Learning Commons - Academic Support / Tutoring
- Public Safety (staffed 24/7/365)
- University Store - textbook, school supplies, snacks, Husky gear & more
- Office of Residential Life
- Registration & Scheduling Services
- Office of Residential Life
- Student Activities & Involvement
- Student Financial Services - Billing, Student Accounts, & Financial Aid
Help Your New Husky with Registration & Orientation Process
- Next Steps: Review the Next Steps document shared with your student in their admission package.
- Pay Enrollment Deposit: All students must pay before starting the Orientation and Advising & Course Selection Process.
- Activate Student Account: Students must activate email and use @maine.edu for communication.
- Access Student Portal: USM Portal for student access to MaineStreet, E-mail, campus platforms.
- Orientation Module: Required to be completed before scheduling an Advising & Course Selection Appointment.
- Orientation Dates & Information: Learn when your student's Orientation is scheduled.
- Preparing for Advising Appointment: Make sure your student is ready for their appointment.
Family Member Events
- Parent & Family Sessions During Orientations
- Commuter Student Parents & Families: 8/27/19
- Residential Student Parent & Families: 8/31/19
- Family & Friends / Homecoming Weekend - October 18-20, 2019 (details coming soon)
- Old-Fashioned Outdoor Band Concert - TBA
Resources for Your Visit to Campus
Still Have Questions?
Is your question not answered here? We're happy to help: email@example.com or (207) 780-4604