At the University of Southern Maine (USM), you can choose from a wide spectrum of affordable, flexible degree programs, including six that you can achieve fully online. Our transfer process makes it possible to continue on your current academic path or explore new directions.

If you have attempted 12 or more college/university credits that:

  • were earned after your high school diploma or GED, starting with the next fall semester — or later
  • can be from multiple colleges (2- or 4-year) and universities — in person or online

Visit our apply page to review our requirements.

We guarantee you’ll be admitted to the University of Southern Maine if you have completed an associate degree with a minimum 2.25 GPA from:

  • the Maine Community College System (MCCS)
  • a regionally accredited community college

Please note: A few specific majors may require a higher GPA or prerequisite courses.

We consider transfer credit from 100-level courses or above if you received a final grade of C– or better at a regionally accredited college and/or university.

We accept grades of P, S, and CR when a transcript indicates the equivalent grade is a C– or higher.

We operate on a semester system and will convert any credits transferred from schools with quarter or unit systems to semester credit hours.

After you're admitted, our Transfer Affairs staff in the Office of Admissions will complete an official Transfer Credit Evaluation of your previously completed college coursework. This process is usually completed within one week after your admission. You'll receive an email notification when your report is available.

You can use our Transfer Equivalency tool to estimate how your earned credits could transfer to USM before you apply — or before your official Transfer Credit Evaluation is ready.

Launch equivalency tool

The University of Maine System (UMS) created a tool where you can review detailed program-specific transfer guides. This tool does not yet include all available UMS transfer agreements. However, it may give you a course-level path between your current Maine college or university and the University of Southern Maine.

Browse transfer guides

If your college, university, or specific course isn't available in either tool or if you have questions regarding the Transfer Credit Evaluation process, email us or call 207-780-5340.

While all of our bachelor's degree programs require a minimum of 120 credits, you must complete at least 30 of your final 45 credits at USM to earn your bachelor’s degree with transfer credit.

Some majors (or degree programs) require more than 120 credits to earn your bachelor's degree.

NOTE: We do not include your transfer credits from past institutions in your overall grade point average (GPA) calculation at USM. However, grades from other colleges and universities will appear on your USM transcript.

Your official Transfer Credit Report will indicate if any of your transferred coursework satisfies any of our core curriculum requirements (look for the “Core Requirements” column in your report).

Any credits that don’t meet our core curriculum or major requirements may transfer as electives. These credits can often help you complete a minor, double major, study abroad program, or an accelerated pathway to a graduate degree.

If you have completed general education requirements in Maine or Massachusetts

We’ll waive core curriculum requirements — except for the capstone — if you have already completed the institution-specific general education (gen ed) block requirements from one of the following schools:

NOTE: For general education (gen ed) requirements to transfer, you don’t need to have a completed Associate Degree.

If you currently hold a 2- or 4-year degree

We’ll waive core curriculum requirements — except for the capstone — if you hold one or more of the following degrees from a regionally accredited institution:

  • An Associate of Arts degree in Liberal Arts
  • An Associate of Arts degree in Liberal Studies
  • A bachelor’s degree
    • We evaluate courses applicable to your new degree and/or prerequisites for transfer credit
    • Any extra courses are grouped into a block of additional credits

If you have 75+ credit hours (as a returning or advanced transfer student)

If you plan to enroll in one of the following undergraduate programs, you’ll need to complete a shorter, streamlined set of core requirements:

  • Leadership & Organizational Studies, Integrative Professional Studies track
  • Tourism & Hospitality, Integrative Professional Studies track

NOTE: If you’re returning to USM after less than two years or plan to enroll in a degree program not listed above, you aren’t eligible for the streamlined set of core requirements.

Looking for more information about transfer credits and our core curriculum?

Get the details

Yes! We offer a variety of scholarships specifically specifically for transfer students and adult learners.

Our Credit for Prior Learning Office can help you get college credit for work, life, and military experience through standardized exams, credential review, and/or portfolio assessment.

With the help of the Maine Community College System, we mapped out paths from many of their associate degree programs to our bachelor’s degree programs. If your degree is not listed, you still have the opportunity to transfer your earned credits — see the “How can I find out if my credits will transfer?” section on this page.

If you’re currently completing coursework for your associate degree from a Maine community college, we urge you to do the following:

  1. Connect with your community college advisor to discuss your plans to transfer and what courses might earn you transfer credit
  2. Review our transfer maps
    • Make sure you’re fulfilling your community college requirements and
    • Make sure you’re fulfilling the outlined requirements for the USM degree program in which you want to enroll.
  3. Contact one of our friendly counselors to discuss your interest in transferring to the University of Southern Maine and better understand our transfer maps.
  4. Complete your associate degree at your community college

ConnectED Pathways

We nurture an innovative partnership with the following schools to streamline your transfer paperwork for programs with transfer maps:

  • Southern Maine Community College (SMCC)
  • Central Maine Community College (CMCC)
  • York County Community College (YCCC)

If you transfer to a four-year institution before completing your associate degree, you may be able to get your previous achievements recognized through a reverse transfer agreement.

This process transmits academic credits for coursework you complete as a transfer student at a four-year institution back to the community college you initially attended to satisfy the requirements for your associate degree.

All University of Maine System institutions hold reverse transfer agreements with all Maine Community College System (MCCS) institutions. Through these agreements, you could be granted an associate degree by combining credits you earned as a transfer student at USM with 30+ credits you previously earned from an MCCS institution.

An admissions counselor can help you navigate the transfer process or grant you an instant admissions decision* during a 30-minute appointment.

*Provided you submit your application and all supporting materials at least five business days before your scheduled appointment.