The Department of Public Safety offers many services to the campus community:
- 24-hour staffed Communication Center
- 24-hour University Police patrols
- Safety Escort Program
- Community Crime Prevention and Outreach Programs
- Campus Crime and Safety Alerts
- Personal Property and Bicycle registration
- Lost & Found for valuable items
- Personal Safety Escort service
- Emergency Response
- Community Patrols – by marked police vehicles, on foot, or on a bicycle
- Community Engagement & Safety Education
- Traffic Control Safety and Enforcement
- Jump-start vehicles with dead batteries
- You can find the Forms for Security/Event Details, Property Registration, Building Access, and Key Tags Here.
- Security Details / Event Security & Safety
- If you are hosting an event on campus, Public Safety would be glad to provide crowd and/or parking control.
- Property Identification Program
- Register your musical instrument, electronic device, or bicycle to aid in locating it if lost or stolen.
- Click HERE to learn about campus bicycle parking and storage policies.
- After-Hour Building Access
- If you are Faculty or Staff and need to grant after-hours access to a building for students, fill out the form above and Public Safety will be able to let the student into the building without having to bother you off hours.
- “Operation Key Tag”
- Register your keys with us, so they may be returned to you if lost.
More About Our Programs
Safety Escort Service
To use this service please contact Public Safety Communications at 207-780-5211. A uniformed police officer driving a marked vehicle will pick you up at your present location and bring you to a different on-campus location such as your residence hall or to your vehicle. This service is available whenever an officer is not on another call. If the officer is on another call, the dispatcher will advise you where to wait in a secure location and how long the delay may be.
Emergency Call Boxes
Yellow emergency call boxes are located throughout the campus and inside campus buildings. A call from these phones will go directly to the Emergency Communications Center and assistance will be immediately sent to your location.
Request for Police Services
Hosting an event on campus? Will there be a lot of people attending, will you be serving alcohol? If the answer to these questions is yes and you would like USM Public Safety there for crowd control or traffic control, fill out the form above to request officers to be at your event.
If you have questions regarding parking for your event, please contact the Parking Department at 207-780-4718.
If you have a presence on campus and would like some peace of mind when it comes to your valuables, you can register them with Public Safety. Any items that have a serial number, such as musical instruments, electronic devices (cell phones, laptops, media players, video game systems, etc), and bicycles that are kept on campus, can be registered.
Please turn the form in to Public Safety Communications which will keep the forms on file and should the item be lost or stolen will be used to aid the police in getting the item returned.
If you are Faculty or Staff and need to grant after-hours access to a building for students, fill out the form above and Public Safety will be able to let the student into the building without having to bother you off hours.
Operation Key Tag
Operation Key Tag is a program through Public Safety where we provide you with a key chain to add to your set of keys. This tag has a number so in the event they are found and turned in to Public Safety your name and contact information are readily available so we can get your keys back to you.
Services We are Unable to Offer
- Motor vehicle lockouts
- Flat tire repair assistance
- Other motor vehicle repairs or services