The University of Southern Maine employs several strategies to notify students, faculty and staff in the event of an emergency situation, including email/text message alerts and social media updates from the USM Public Safety Communications Center, and provides resources on how to react in an emergency situation.
The USM Public Safety Communications center operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from the USM Public Safety office in Gorham. The Public Safety Communications Officer (or dispatcher) is trained in many different areas to serve the University community.
Public Safety Communications Officers
Some but not all of the duties and responsibilities of Communications Officers are:
- Entering and receiving information from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles
- Entering and receiving information from state and national databases
- Entering and receiving information about stolen items, missing persons and other records
- Entering and receiving information about arrest warrants and protection orders
- Entering and maintaining in house database of calls and officer activities
Communications Officers are trained to respond to many types of calls including but not limited to:
- Medical emergencies
- Suicidal individuals
- Domestic violence incidents
- Requests from other law enforcement agencies
- Monitor campus fire alarm systems
- Monitor campus closed circuit video systems
- Monitor security access systems
- Sign out keys for restricted areas
- Issue temporary parking permits
- Maintain lost and found items
Sign up for USM Alerts:
The USM Alert Emergency Warning System gives registered users email and text message notifications in the event of a University emergency or inclement weather closure or delay. To receive emergency text and email messages, you must be registered. Register now to receive emergency alerts.
Weather Delays and Cancellations:
The Weather Delays and Cancellations menu outlines policies regarding the University of Southern Maine’s approach to opening delays, cancellations, or closures due to inclement weather at our three campuses.
In the event of an emergency:
Who to call in the event of an emergency.
View the Safety Guidelines in the event of an active shooter situation on campus.