The School of Social Work BSW and MSW programs will prepare students to be eligible for licensure within the State of Maine. Visit the UMS State Authorization and Licensure page to learn more about the licensure requirements in other states and territories, and for contact information to inquire further about the licensure requirements associated with this program.

Each semester we distribute information about licensure to our BSW and MSW students.

The PPT below provides information to MSW students regarding licensure processes and requirements.

MSW 2024 Pursuing Social Work Licensure in Maine Presentation [PDF]

Please visit the link below for BSW Students regarding licensure processes and requirements.

BSW Licensure Information

Request a Letter Verifying Your Graduation Date (MSW Students Only)

Please submit the Graduation Verification Request form to request a letter from the MSW Program Coordinator addressed to the Maine State Board of Social Worker Licensure that verifies your anticipated graduation. You will need this letter if you are seeking early approval from the Board to take the ASWB licensing exam. Signed letters will be emailed to your email address. It is your responsibility to share your letter with the Maine State Board of Social Worker Licensure.

Domestic Violence/Intimate Partner Violence

Here is a copy of the University of Southern Maine Verification of Graduate Content on Domestic Violence/Intimate Partner Violence.

We suggest that you visit the link for the Association of Social Work Boards to find more information about the exam, including preparation materials:

The Maine Licensing Board website provides information about licensing requirements and applications: Maine State Board of Social Work Licensure

For a Quick Advising Guide for USM MSW Students Seeking Licensure in Maine click here.

For ASWB Licensure Exam Pass Rate Date click here.

MHRT/c- Provisional Certificate Instructions

A student must have completed at least 30 credits in social services-related coursework (psychology, sociology, social work, human services, etc.).

To apply for a Provisional MHRT/C please follow the below steps:

  • Go to the MUSKIE website:
  • Click on the link to the free online training, Maine’s Mental Health System 101 (MH101). The actual training is on the left-hand side of the website. Watch the videos and read the slides and then answer questions. Complete the training and save the completion certificate. It takes about an hour to complete and is free. 
  • Back on the main page of the MUSKIE website, click on the FORMS link near the top right. On the Forms page, click on MHRT/C to expand that section. Download an application for MHRT/C.
  • Complete the form, checking Pathway C.
  • Submit the form, the MH101 certificate and a legible copy of an official transcript to the address on the form, or scan these and email them to the email address on the form.

Email is the fastest way to submit the paperwork. If students have a sealed official transcript, they may open it in order to scan it or take a photo of it with their smart device. Students can then email the resulting document with the rest of their paperwork.

USM also offers electronic transcripts for a small fee. If you opt to do that, the transcript can be emailed to: When submitting the rest of their paperwork, indicate that the transcript will be coming from the institution.

USM Transcript request website:

Once all the required documentation is received please allow staff up to 3 weeks to review and process the application. Certificates will be sent by email.